Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The SVN revision inferior to the offical released version ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I played the Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube version) on Dolphin 2.0 offical released version and I got the 36fps in a specified scene . I can even get around 42fps in most scenes.

And then I tried it on the latest Dolphin SVN revision R5882 with the same setting and scene. I am dispirited that I only got the 26fps . And I only got 30fps in some other scenes...

I think the problem is on the decoding efficiency of SVN because I have tried to turn down the quality of image but I got the almost same fps...

I have to doubt if there is any improvement from the SVN . Could somebody tell me why the performance of dolphin SVN drops please ??
Because latest svn has fixed lot of things.
Like missing texture and shadow.
Make the graphic more accuracy.
Also, you can see from your screenshot, the texture is more high quality than 2.0.
High quality means drop of FPS.
The lastest svn is about 3000 revision newer than 2.0.
It changes a lot and should not compare with the old one.
If you want speed up, you can try some hack.
Just like SFX64, optimize with SSE, OpenCL, etc.
Yes, more accuracy less FPS
Actually,Dolphin 2.0 is r53xx ,@shuffle2 choose one of those svn and compile with his method
(07-16-2010, 10:59 PM)blackJade Wrote: [ -> ]Because latest svn has fixed lot of things.
Like missing texture and shadow.
Make the graphic more accuracy.
Also, you can see from your screenshot, the texture is more high quality than 2.0.
High quality means drop of FPS.
The lastest svn is about 3000 revision newer than 2.0.
It changes a lot and should not compare with the old one.
If you want speed up, you can try some hack.
Just like SFX64, optimize with SSE, OpenCL, etc.

Actually, I don't think that the latest SVN revision is much better than the 2.0 offical released version on texture quality casue the 2.0 offical version's image is also not bad.
However, but I can see a few bugs have been fixed by the SVN revision because I used to play certain games with bugs which disappear in SVN revision.

As emulator's players, we need the version which can provide better performance and fix obvious bugs so that most of the games could be runing normally and in 30fps at least. The texture quality is minor.

Would our dear developers of dolphin SVN realize the valid direction of development ?? Emulator should make the games run normally like the machine FIRST but not make the image quality better than the machine with terrible FPS.
(07-17-2010, 12:27 AM)finalmars Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I don't think that the latest SVN revision is much better than the 2.0 offical released version on texture quality casue the 2.0 offical version's image is also not bad.
However, but I can see a few bugs have been fixed by the SVN revision because I used to play certain games with bugs which disappear in SVN revision.

As emulator's players, we need the version which can provide better performance and fix obvious bugs so that most of the games could be runing normally and in 30fps at least. The texture quality is minor.

Would our dear developers of dolphin SVN realize the valid direction of development ??

Would we as dear "player" realize that svn is not meant for end users to play with and regard as a final quality software? SVN usually are a very volatile WIP, bug and regression is to be expected along with improvement, there's a reason they're not published in main dolphin site.

btw dolphin forums is pretty lenient regarding svn talk, in pcsx2 you'll be shot down for whining about release other than final release or public beta.
(07-17-2010, 12:38 AM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]btw dolphin forums is pretty lenient regarding svn talk, in pcsx2 you'll be shot down for whining about release other than final release or public beta.

Wow, didn't knew that... Why?
It makes it a heck of a lot easier if everyone is discussing the same few versions.

Also, they only officially support official releases. Most bugs in official releases are already known and if there is a setting fix, people who ask about them can be easily answered. It's not so easy when you've got a brand new bug in a brand new SVN build not to mention all the other bugs with other SVN builds.

That's what I think anyway...
(07-17-2010, 12:27 AM)finalmars Wrote: [ -> ]Would our dear developers of dolphin SVN realize the valid direction of development ?? Emulator should make the games run normally like the machine FIRST but not make the image quality better than the machine with terrible FPS.

Actually, no. Accuracy is more important than performance, build an extremely accurate emulator, them optimize for performance.
I like 2.0 more, but new builds have OpenCL and new Wiimote-plugin so...
I think because graphics and textures are 'fixed' it requires more power... don't worry, in about 4000 revs you will need a 3 ghz dual core to play gamecube games and have wfc support. be happy you can actually play games at all. Would you rather have wfc support with 50% less performance or no wfc at all? (for example)
(07-17-2010, 11:52 PM)Diathorus Wrote: [ -> ]I like 2.0 more, but new builds have OpenCL and new Wiimote-plugin so...
I think because graphics and textures are 'fixed' it requires more power... don't worry, in about 4000 revs you will need a 3 ghz dual core to play gamecube games and have wfc support. be happy you can actually play games at all. Would you rather have wfc support with 50% less performance or no wfc at all? (for example)

Actually, it will become more and more difficult to raise the Ghz of CPU (after overclocking,we can get a 4Ghz CPU at most), it's time to optimize the Dolphin for multi-core CPU but not just for dual-core.
Pages: 1 2