Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Emulator complete review.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't have too much to do at this moment, so I thought, let me write a review of this emulator.

Graphic Quality & Performance 4,4/5
(I review this as if I had a high-end PC)
This emulator supports OpenGL, DirectX 9 and DirectX 11.
It supports games up to 1080p, which is astonishing, since the real Wii console can only output 480p, given you have a HDMI cable. This is one of the emulator's main special feature.
The DirectX 9 plugin renders games at best performance possible. Some games, like Sonic Unleashed, Pokemon Battle Revolution run better under OpenGL. It seems like the DirectX 9 plugin still needs work on it.
Now, Dolphin also supports DirectX 11, and is still in a beta phase, to say so; many features are likely to be added such as more EFB options and more options to change graphic output the way you want (such as the texture range). It still renders slower than DX9 in most cases but it is still a miracle seeing this plugin is still in a beta phase.

Stability & CPU Performance 4,2/5
Dolphin requires a beast of a computer to emulate most Wii games at full-speed. A Pentium 4 processor running at 3 ghz, is however, sufficient to emulate gamecube games at decent speed.
With the appearance of OpenCL and dual-core support, performance has increased significantly, however, old computers with only a single core or no modern GPU have no benefit of this. It is sad that in some games, like Sonic Unleashed, the game hangs and there's no way to fix this exept by enabling the software rendering. This makes the game extremely slow. There also problems in Twilight Princess, places like Hyrule Field are slowly recompiled. There is a fix coming in the near future, we all hope. There is worked hard on this issue. The CPU emulator engines need an update, like JITIL.

Recommended is a dual-core processor with a CPU score of 1800 @ 3,7 ghz, do you want to fully enjoy the experience Dolphin has to give.

Sound 4,6/5
This emulator has two options: HLE & LLE, at this moment HLE works the best, with minor sound hiccups in games like Super Smash Bros. and works fine in Colosseum, given that you have to enable OpenAL backend.

Controls 4,8/5
Now, this is interesting. This emulator supports all kind of controls, it allows you to play with a real WiiMote, even an IPhone! Almost any USB controller is compatible with Dolphin and you can set the controls all by yourself. A splendid feature indeed. However, for example in Super Smash Bros. Brawl or other multiplayer games that support GC controller, when you start the game it automatically logs a Gamecube and a Wii controller, you have to turn on and switch off the Wiimote controls (if you use a GC controller). This can be frustrating at some moments.

Online Play 1,5/5
Dolphin supports netplay, but it is far from enjoyable. You need a high-end computer, it doesn't support dual-core or Wii motes yet. There is also no special room where you can
instantly connect to other players. NetPlay happens to de-sync sometimes.
Also, the sad part is you cannot even log onto the WFC network. Voices are heard that it is kind of easy to enable, but Action Replay feature makes developers scared that Dolphin is getting sued for it (well, even real console supports AR...). My idea: get rid of Action Replay and make it a patch. It is kind of useless at the moment. There are no cheats and you have to find them yourselves. I am looking forward to this feature.

Support 5/5
The support is fantastic. Every day, Dolphin is being updated and compiled. Lextrode on the forums is famous for compiling Intel-enhanced builds for a performance boost, Xtreme2Damax is famous for his/her Zelda:TP speedup builds. and Mamario hosted his own site with most up-to-date Dolphin builds. Got any question? The people of the forums will answer your question in a split of a second, even if it's asked a thousand times.
Other Positive Aspects
- User interface is clean and easy to use;
- Screenshot feature is nice for outputting HD screenshots;
- Recording at high quality is made easy with this emulator;
- You can easily switch between games;
- Ability to install Wii Menu is a nice feature;
- Playing region-free games is beneficial for the wallet...
- Easy to configure memory cards and ability to import/export from real console is a nice feature;
- Ability to play from disc drive is nice.

What would you like to see?
To make AR apart from Dolphin as a patch, enable Nintendo WFC connection, fix of graphics & sound in games and more work in plugins so Dolphin fully utilizes GPU and CPU power.
Score: 4,1/5
nice review, but removal of dsp-lle? That was the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's still being worked on. Also, it's ridiculously hard to get wfc connection working.
and afaik software rendering is for debuggin purpose, you should know what you're talking about before throwing ridiculous request.
I can emulate all games full speed with my C2D @ 2.5Ghz. A 3.7Ghz CPU isn't needed.
(07-17-2010, 02:28 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]I can emulate all games full speed with my C2D @ 2.5Ghz. A 3.7Ghz CPU isn't needed.

Even Pokémon Battle Revolution?!
Sonic Unleashed?
Sonic and the Secret Rings?
Sonic and the Black Knight?
Hyrule Field?
0_o... Please tell me which build you use!
I don't think Billiard means all games...
(07-17-2010, 02:28 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]all games full speed with my C2D @ 2.5Ghz.
that he own.
Ooh, yeah, didn't thought about that xd.
Yeah, all games that I have tried. :p