Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: would like to upgrade computer to run dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

thunderfox99

hello i am new to this emulator and am confused as to what i should do next to increase my performance

here are my system specs

GFX: nvidia geforce 6150SE nForce 430, 825 mb on card

CPU: AMD sempron processor le 1250 2.20 ghz

RAM: 2.00 gb, 1.87 gb usable

is my graphics card acceptable? i think i should start with the cpu first. i looked up the amd phenom and it looks both cheap and effective

any criticism will be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.
Dolphin don't need powerful display card.
An onboard display is enough to run dolphin.

If you want to change a phenom II CPU.
You need to make sure you have a AM2+/AM3 socket motherboard.

You expect to buy a Dual core or a Qual core CPU?
Dolphin does not support qual core,
so I will suggest you buy a AMD Phenom II x2 555 black edition.
If you want a Qual core CPU, I think Phenom II is not a good choice.
Phenom II X4 is way too expensive than a Althon II X4 and without a big performance gain.
Then I will suggest you buy a AMD Athlon II x4 640.

You can also get more speed by get a SSE3 optimize builds.
OC your CPU.
upgrade your windows into 64bit.
Add more ram in a 64bit windows.
Use your ram to as a ram drive and put the iso inside to make it load faster.
(07-15-2010, 11:18 PM)blackJade Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin don't need powerful display card.
An onboard display is enough to run dolphin.

That's entirely incorrect. Integrated graphics circuits like Intel GMA are not suitable for dolphin and will not result in playable speeds (except maybe at 640x480 resolution). It's best to have a real graphics card made by ati or nvidia. Even the 6150 is borderline acceptable
But yes, you would benefit from switching to a phenom II dual core.
you need to change your cpu and motherboard since I think your mobo doesn't support AM3 Cpu, I'd recommend to get at least i3.
@naoan: it might support am3 cpu's, so he might not need to change his mobo. as Ocean said, a phenom II dual core (preferably a 555BE) would be a good choice, and something > or = the level of say, a hd 4670 or a 9600gt, would be a good choice for a graphics card.
If his mobo supports AM2+ then he can buy a AMD Phenom 955 BE like I did Smile, HUGE SPEEDUP IN EVERYTHING!!!
yes his mobo can support both am2+ and am3 cpu's.