Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Quad Core Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since dolphin is CPU intensive program, can't we have quad core support?
That way quad core users do not have to overclock the CPU to be over 3GHz in order to gain fps or to prevent fps from dropping.
no. Not worth it. Search the other 100+ threads about quad core support.
Yup, Dual cores are better for Dolphin.
1:video
2:cpu emulation
(3):audio

What else is needed?
well, you can theoretically multithread/multicore the video and cpu emulation which a higher core count cpu would benefit but that is no easy task.
If anyone has the ability and time to implement +3 core support, they'll code it. There's no need to keep asking about it.
I see no reason to dedicate a thread/core to video emulation when it's mostly on the video card's head to deal with that aspect. Unless it's something like the software renderer. PCSX2 actually has the ability to use as many cores as you can provide if you use software to render the video. I'm unsure if Dolphin does this, but i'm sure it's too slow anyways.

Pretty sure the developers have decided it's not worth it to use more than two cores. It's CPU architecture that's most important. If you have a really good CPU, extremely high clock speed and more than two cores means little. The Core i series i believe are especially good at running Dolphin.
i dont think they'll ever implement quad core support..................