Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow performance in SMG2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

plugz

[Image: smg2slowperf.jpg]

My spec :
Q8200 @2.33GHz
2x2GB DDR2 @800MHz
Radeon HD3850

I used Dolphin 5873 and setup the config like the performance guideline.
I got 10-15FPS.

I saw some youtube videos. His specs is lower than me but he gets 30+ fps Huh
Is there anyway to improve the FPS?

Thanks in advance.
What was the youtube's cpu speed? I think your cpu is holding you back.

plugz

As I remembered his spec is.
E7500
2GB DDR2 @800MHz
Geforce 9600GT

And I compared the score from this.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net
That cpu is 600mhz faster then you. I'm not sure how passmark is benched but if it's multicored enabled then thats why your quadcore score better but in the end the faster core speed matters most for dolphin.
Recommended CPU speed is 2.8 Ghz - 3.0+ Ghz for best performance, yours is 2.33 Ghz. CPU architecture also matters, a 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 won't be as fast as a slightly lower or equally clocked Core2Duo.

I would also suggest not to go crazy with AA or EFB scaling, especially at higher resolutions as SSAA and EFB scaling can bring even the most powerful cards to their knees. Also use Copy EFB to Texture, unless a game depends on Copy EFB to Ram for certain effects, then you could try the new hybrid Copy EFB to Ram in the latest revisions. Make sure dual core is enabled, use DSP-HLE, not DSP-LLE for audio. Also disable Audio Throttle in the DSP settings and set the frame limiter to limit by FPS instead of VPS, set the frame limiter at 60 FPS.

If that fails, you may have no choice but to try overclocking or just deal with the speed, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 tends to be slow for most of us. With my Core2Duo E8500 that is clocked at 3.16 Ghz, I can achieve full speed in some galaxy's, while some galaxy's run at half speed. The space ship runs at about 35 FPS - 40 FPS for me. This is a game that you might also want to enable idle skipping for, idle skipping seems to make a significant difference with this game. Smile