Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [DEPRECATED-TUT] Speeding up compile times.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following is for archival purposes only. The latest builds of Dolphin now have this by default.

---

Note: This is for people seeking to compile dolphin builds from the repository. There is a site which compiles builds (although each takes an indefinite amount of time to start, and approx. 15 minutes to compile + upload).

My experience: My compile time has been reduced from 5 minutes to about a minute. I'm sure the only limiting factor now is my hard drive speed (don't have a solid state).

Tutorial (vs2008): (Note that this can be applied to any C++ project, not just dolphin):

1) Open the solution for Dolphin.
2) Right click on "Core".
3) Choose "Properties".
4) Go to Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Command Line.
5) In "Additional options", type "/MP" without quotes.
6) Compile, and note a significantly faster compile time. So far, I've discovered no pitfalls in using the MP (multiple processor) command option.

Assuming you have a relatively new processor, the limiting factor now should be your hard drive speed, unless you have a solid-state drive, in which case the limiting factor is probably still your processor.

You can read more about the MP option @ MSDN.

Note that if you want, you can specify the number yourself, or let Visual Studio determine the number of effective cores, which is in my case, 8.
thanks, on my 5400rpm hard drive i got a faster compiling times!

if only i had a 10,000 rpm hard drive.....(dreaming)
Theoretically this could be applied to all the projects. Right ?
All C++ projects, yes. If you're referring to all the projects in Dolphin, I'm not sure.

I assumed only "Core" needs to be set, because it's the startup project, but I may be wrong. I'll try setting this on every project and let you guys know if it compiles any faster.

EDIT: Seems to be about the same speed for me, setting MP on every project. Can someone else try it out and let us know if it makes a difference?

EDIT2: I've submitted a patch, so hopefully this will be integrated into dolphin.

LuisR14

hehe Smile