Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lag with Optimal Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Joe_Yoshi

Hey guys.
I downloaded and set up the v2.0 of Dolphin and configured the settings using a "set-up guide" I found on this forum, but I get a lot of lag when I try to play Super Mario Sunshine and GCN Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. (I don't even want to bother with Wii games.) I don't think my computer specs would be any issue (see below for them), I mean, I can play COD4 MW2, ARMA 2, Resident Evil 5 and a bunch of other demanding games on max specs with no issues at all.

If anyone could give me some help that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core i7 720QM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
8 GB DDR3
1 TB HDD
Try the new SVN builds in the forums. Those pc games are optimized for a pc environment. You can't compare that with emulator trying to emulate a gaming console. Also, dolphin is still in development and some games just don't run full speed like Zelda.

Joe_Yoshi

Sorry, but where do I get the SVN build? And I dunno, I figured throwing in that it could play normal games with no issue would help a bit? Lol. Nvm. But would you say that the specs that I have would be alright for emulating?
Your 1.6ghz cpu is not that great overall with raw speed. If you can keep it at 2.8ghz turbo then it would be a lot better. So your cpu is your biggest bottleneck.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/forum-6.html

SVN builds can be found on the stickies.
Well, my computer can play games fine too (fallout 3, battlefield bad company 2, etc.). The difference between these is that ones made for the PC, which the other is made for a Wii. Think of it like someone who knows the English language. If a book in English is read in English, its usually no problem for an English reader. But if the book is in Japanese, the English reader has to translate it to English before it can read it. Same goes for the wii. Its taking Power PC calls, and then converting them to x86 and x64 calls. This takes alot of cpu power, since translating takes more work then a native language. CPUs seem to be the biggest bottle neck at the moment. Its kind of odd too, since the wii has a 7xx mhz processor, games lag on a 2.4ghz dual core (Technically, 6 times faster). So if you wanna play dolphin games on a higher speed, consider a faster processor. Also, from what I've read Intel have an advantage over AMD processors in dolphin. I might be wrong with some of this, and if I am sorry ^^

- Kris
I only emulate wii games using wii motes. zelda works well enough to play with only some issues of slow down. on svn 5689 i have tested working 30 plus wii games the emulator

you need the devs to add suport for the i7 4 core chip . not bad laptop spec but it does mean if you want to over clock your cpu you will be limited because of the temp .i googled your cpu and saw that some people have been able to get 2.8 to 2.97 on each of the four cores givin that dolphin will use 2 of these you should be able to get a better frame rate by the way try the latest builds from marmario theres constant fixes which may also boost your performance

p35 ds4
e6750 at 3.7
bad ass heat sync on the processor
2900xt 512 at 900 mem and 827 core
800 w power supply
3 gig of mushking 800 mem at 927 2 x multyplyer
x 2 wiimotes and a wireless dragon wii sensor bar