Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: sync my fps not my vps!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so... i have tried revision after revision of dolphin... only the 5739 rev seems to work this way so far. i was having trouble running mario kart wii in 2 player mode and getting 100% speed. well, i noticed that if i uncapped the frame limiter, my pc didnt have a single issue running it at like 400% speed... so.. the question arises: if i can run this game at 4x the intended speed with frame limiter off: why does it run at half speed when i have frame limiter on? even if i set the limiter to 120 fps, it still has major game ruining slow downs.

btw... all these tests are done with audio throttle off.

well... i set frame limiter to off, and vsync on, and its amazing! the vps above 120... and yet the game is running at the normal speed and my frames are synced! unfortunately, this only works properly in this rev 5739. all other revs, when i turn vsync on, it doesnt allow my vps to go above 60. therefore, my games actually run well below 100% speed like this. btw, i was comparing cpu usage between capped and uncapped frames, and dolphin.exe still uses up 100% of 2 of my cores, regardless of frame limiter settings.

in newer revisions, mario kart will speed up to 100% every now but then in two player mode it will average around 80%-90%. not to mention, the beginning of the races will always start out super slow motion. well check this screenshot out:
[attachment=3676]

in all other revs id be getting like 60% speed here. i know the screenshot says 200+% but the game is running exactly at 100% the correct speed. i even timed a race with a stopwatch and compared the results just to make sure. my frames will even sometimes drop in the 40's but you can tell the game is actually running at 100% speed still.

now... here is an example of a newer revision, with vsync on:
[attachment=3678]

notice it's running in slow motion again....
same settings. however, in one version of the emulator im getting 200% speed, in the other, im fighting to get above 70%.

neway... i can play all dolphin compatible games now without ever getting less than 100% game speed. i dont get slowdowns even in menus.
[attachment=3677]

only on this one revision tho, all other revisions cause my vps to be limited and the games are too slow to mess with.

anyone else notice this? anyone else taking advantages of uncapped vps with vsynced frames? i would really like to upgrade to a newer rev but so far, none function like this one: 5739.
Try something later than 5777, this bug should be fixed, I believe
(06-27-2010, 12:47 AM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]Try something later than 5777, this bug should be fixed, I believe

bug? this isnt a bug! this is the only thing making this emulator playable. i have tried the new revisions and none of them allow my vps to go above 60 with vsync on.... check out the second screenshot i posted. a new revision with about 1/3 the speed of the other.

just tried 5786 lastnite and no dice, vsync caps my vps.... dont know why, vps has nothing to do with monitor refresh rates...

with the revision i'm currently using and the current settings i can actually get lower fps, like 40 per say, and my game speed will be showing as more than 200% on the emu and in reality it is at a perfect 100%. i would love to find another rev that works this way so if you have any suggestions...
uncheck audio throttle in audio settings
(06-27-2010, 03:15 AM)shawnanastasio Wrote: [ -> ]uncheck audio throttle in audio settings

ugh it is. i didnt feel the need to post all the settings. sorry. audio throttle is off, frame limiter off, vsync on.
That problem with the frame limiter is an issue, that got fixed in 5790 and reverted in 5799.

So try any build from 5790 upto 5798.
This still seems to be an issue for me on the latest OSX builds, is it an issue on windows too?
This is definitely an issue. There's certain games that I'd like to cap at 30 fps just because thats more acceptable to me than running at a fluctuating amount under 60 fps. But whenever I limit the framerate it halves the game speed also. It's incredibly annoying and seems like a bug.
Sorry, I meant that vsync isn't working, I get constant tearing in fullscreen mode. Is it the same in Winblows?
(01-28-2011, 01:02 AM)CrispyXUK Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I meant that vsync isn't working, I get constant tearing in fullscreen mode. Is it the same in Winblows?

Nope only on Assle.
Pages: 1 2