Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Increasing RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have went from 2GB to 3GB of ram. Of course my laptop moves and boots a little bit faster, but what will this do for dolphin?

Was my money I used to increase my RAM worth it?
Will it increase speeds in dolphin?
Dolphin shouldn't require much RAM.
RAM is good for multi-tasking and loading, but generally doesn't improve performance, unless you buy faster ram instead of just more.
Yeah he is true Dolphin performance seems doesn related by your RAM(my RAM is only 1 GB but the performance same as my bro Comp)
Ram is a hit or miss. You either have enough or you don't. If you don't have enough then windows will need to store data in the paging file in order to prevent the program from crashing, this is what causes the slowdowns you see on systems with little ram. If you already have enough ram getting more does not do anything performance wise. Dolphin uses less than 1 GB even with the 64 bit builds running efb intensive games with the efb being stored in system ram instead of video ram. Windows vista/7 usually uses about 1 GB of ram by itself depending on how many background processes are running.

Therefore going from 2GB to 3GB will most likely not improve performance at all with dolphin, but if it does it will be a very small speedup.
Negligible, but at least it keeps your system from being hogged up when it comes to multitasking. The emu's already happy on 1GB RAM, although you might elect to add more when the need arises.
okay so basically buying more ram for my laptop was point less in terms of emulating

Sad

i'll just save up to buy a better laptop or better video card & cpu i know that'll help me in terms of emulating
(06-26-2010, 11:20 AM)TheBboyKnowledge Wrote: [ -> ]I have went from 2GB to 3GB of ram. Of course my laptop moves and boots a little bit faster, but what will this do for dolphin?

Was my money I used to increase my RAM worth it?
Will it increase speeds in dolphin?

I can run a browser and Dolphin at the same time and my computer only uses about 700 MB of ram. Not kidding either. See my thread for a screen shot.
Well, going from a DDR2 533 to a DDR3 1333 may result in some speed increase, and i think right now as the current OS, software and hardware are, you need at least 3GB of ram to have a nice experience. (im using 2gb, planning to buy 1 more stick)
Not many mobos support both ddr2 and ddr3. I have yet to see a laptop supporting both specs. I highly doubt adding more ram will make a significant boost in speed unless you have tons of back ground services running. His real bottle neck is the gpu (mainly this) and cpu.
Pages: 1 2