Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overheat Warning Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

KadMan

Anyone else have this issue? After playing any game be it Wii or GC for 10+ min my comp goes into wtf mode and starts beeping at me like my CPU Fan isnt working. Checked temps on CPU/GPU while sound was playing all were in stable range. I close the emulation window and it stops. Kinda of annoying to have to close the window and open the game I was playing again every 10min or so.

Running

E6600 2.4 O/C'd to 3GHZ
4Gig of Ram
Radeon 4870
Windows 7 64

Im using Revision 5786 of Dolphin if that helps any.
Overclocking it that much might be what's causing so much overheating.

How long have you had the PC? It could be the thermal paste that was cooling your CPU has dried up.

KadMan

I changed the thermal paste like 4 months ago when I put a new cooler on it, I have never had it do this in any other emulators/games before.
what is your cooler? improper ventilation might also be a factor, monitor your temp using coretemp or realtemp while using dolphin and base if your current oc is too high for your cooler to handle.
this sounds just like malware in my ears...
intel CPUs dont "beep" when they overheat... they clock down to reduce heat and i am pretty sure that your computer doesnt beep without the usage of some kind of software.
(06-26-2010, 08:33 PM)FloW3184 Wrote: [ -> ]this sounds just like malware in my ears...
intel CPUs dont "beep" when they overheat... they clock down to reduce heat and i am pretty sure that your computer doesnt beep without the usage of some kind of software.

All cpu's send signal to motherboard bios for high frequency beep or multiple beeps depending on bios type (ami, award,phoenix etc), if the processor is in danger of overheating. If failure to cool occurs it will instate downthrottling of core speeds, if it still stays too high, thermal shutdown happens.
[Image: 201ufn.png]

Download SpeedFan (or everest) & post your temps so it can be seen whether temperatures are the problem.
Spyware or malware is probably not causing motherboard beep, though running a scan wont hurt.

If there is no thermal problem or harmful programs/other problems, you can manually disable beeps from the registry (assuming you are using windows).

Go to run -> regedit -> hkey_current_user -> control -> sounds -> beep
[Image: 6tfngp.png]

Needs reboot afterwards, it doesn't affect your computer in any way except disabling motherboard beep sound (can be re-enabled anytime) so it's a safe modification.

If temperatures are the problem you will at least need to clean heatsink & processor preferably with isopropanol alcohol and apply new, quality thermal paste like IC diamond or arctic silver on the surface.
Should the problem persist, undo the 3.0ghz overclock on your cpu (but you said temps *were* stable so that isn't necessarily the issue unless your program is getting faulty readings from temp diode)

Also if playing your games on a keyboard, a bad ps/2 port keyboard or a bad usb keyboard can be sending faulty signals during key presses & it will result in mass beeping.

KadMan

CPU temps are running smooth 30c sitting at desktop and 55-60c in Dolphin and other games. Using a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 sence someone wanted to know.
weird, shouldn't be a problem then... try reseating all your hardware then.
Those temps are definitely normal, nothing wrong with them. Since it's not an overheating issue, it can be literally anything. Reseating could help, or if the problem persists but nothing is wrong with the system just switch off beep

KadMan

Yea I dont get it I can play games with 2x the graphics and CPU usage and dont get the beep its just in Dolphin after 10min or so and stops instantly when i clsoe the emulation window.
Pages: 1 2