Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will these notebook specs be enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dookie11

Hey all,

Been lurking for a long time, and finally decided to register Smile

I will be purchasing a notebook soon (maybe even this Sunday when ENVY14 releases), and was wondering if these specs will run either ngc or wii games well:

CPU: i5-430m (willing to upgrade to 520m or 540m if necessary).
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 1gb
RAM: 4gb

The game's I will be playing would be SSBM, SSBB, F-zero GX, Extreme G 3, XGRA, Mario Kart DD, Mario Kart for wii, Ikaruga, etc etc.

Thank you for your help!
Yes! I was thinking about getting the envy 14 too this sunday! (I've also been lurking on those envy forums too for a long time.) I was planning on going for the i5 540m or the i7 720QM, but will the i5 actually perform better than the i7 on Dolphin because it can only utilize two cores? will the i7 be able to handle the more intensive dolphin roms? I've been having this debate forever and it's quite annoying...

Do I want longer battery life, cooler temperatures, and potentially a better Dolphin experience, or sheer performance for 3d rendering and multitasking and future-proofing?

Gah! plz advise!
i7 720qm will probably be slightly faster than i5 430m despite utilizing just 2 cores, because 2 additional cores will be available for OS and background processes. Turbo boost will also easily push cores to 2.6-2.9ghz.

Portable setups with mobile i7 cost quite a lot though. If you have the money, go for it. That laptop is a monster compared to standard laptops. Spec wise yes it will definitely play the games you listed at 100% speed.

My old work laptop I'm throwing away soon is maybe 3-4x weaker than the thing you're going to buy (core 2 Duo T5900, mobility radeon 3870 HD) and it can play f-zero x, mario kart DD and ikaruga at 100% speed, even mario galaxy at about 80%.
Those laptops look sweet, any price estimations? Couldn't finde anything via Google!

dookie11

(06-25-2010, 07:23 PM)Ocean Wrote: [ -> ]i7 720qm will probably be slightly faster than i5 430m despite utilizing just 2 cores, because 2 additional cores will be available for OS and background processes. Turbo boost will also easily push cores to 2.6-2.9ghz.

Portable setups with mobile i7 cost quite a lot though. If you have the money, go for it. That laptop is a monster compared to standard laptops. Spec wise yes it will definitely play the games you listed at 100% speed.

My old work laptop I'm throwing away soon is maybe 3-4x weaker than the thing you're going to buy (core 2 Duo T5900, mobility radeon 3870 HD) and it can play f-zero x, mario kart DD and ikaruga at 100% speed, even mario galaxy at about 80%.

Does your post confirm that the i5-430M+5650 in the ENVY14 would be enough to handle those games? Or were you referring to the i7?

Thanks