Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: True FPS values
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

andykara2003

True FPS values
I've been reading up on this a bit & wonder if anyone can clear this up for me. Firstly there seems to be a common misconception about frames per second and emulators. People confuse in game frames per second (which, even on the original console, vary from game to game and are often variable at different points in the game) with emulator speed fps, the target speed of which is always 60fps for NTSC consoles and 50fps for PAL consoles (more accurately 60hz or 50hz to match the corresponding tv's refresh rate).

It seems that only a few emulators have increased the first type of framerate beyond the original in game framerate with N64 and even NES emulators still 'chugging' in the same places as the original games.

One exception to this is the Dreamcast emulator Chankast which uses something called 'virtual overclocking' to actually allow the virtual hardware to produce more in game frames per second but - and this is the key - not speeding up the actual gameplay at all, i.e. the game plays exactly the same way and speed as the original but is smoother and not as 'juddery'

Even the acclaimed PS2 emulator PCSX2 doesn't do this end will at best render the game at it's original in game FPS (albeit at 1080p) and as I say, even the N64 and NES emulators will not go beyond the stock intended FPS.

So the question I want to ask is: can the Dolphin emulator do this and provide a 'virtual overclock' to truly render higher framerates? (assuming I have a pc powerful enough of course).

Cheers :o)
I have no idea what this Chankast thing is doing (couldn't find any info on the net), but depending upon how a specific game is programmed it most likely is not possible to implement such a thing in Dolphin without heavily modifying the game's binary code (just to make that ONE game work).

andykara2003

(06-21-2010, 02:51 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea what this Chankast thing is doing (couldn't find any info on the net), but depending upon how a specific game is programmed it most likely is not possible to implement such a thing in Dolphin without heavily modifying the game's binary code (just to make that ONE game work).

Hi - cheers for the reply

If you google Chankast there's a fair bit on info there... And I'm pretty sure the 'virtual overclocking' works for all the games on the emulator.
I could find info on Chankast, but not on its virtual overclocking thing, esp. how it works.

andykara2003

(06-21-2010, 03:15 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]I could find info on Chankast, but not on its virtual overclocking thing, esp. how it works.

I can't find where I read about it now... But I guess it comes down to the fact that the emulator (dolphin) can't run a gamecube/ww game at a higher in-game frame rate than it ran at on the console - even if the original game suffered frame rate drops down to 20fps - am I right about this?

Cheers