Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Solved] Performance with a few CPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

thatrandomguy

[This question has been solved]

I'm going to be building a computer and I thought I'd see what kind of performance I'd get with a few different CPUs. This computer is NOT being built specifically for Dolphin. Dolphin would be an enjoyable bonus.

GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5770 (if there's any complications with this GPU)

CPUs:

Athlon II X3 440 (about 3.0 Ghz, 3 x 512KB L2 Cache)

Phenom II X4s (anything from the 3.0 Ghz model to 3.4 Ghz model and varying caches most likely)

I do NOT plan on overclocking any parts of my computer, even if I get a Black Edition CPU. I'd be running Windows 7 64-bit with 4GB DDR3 RAM. I already know that there is no difference between 3 and 4 cores with Dolphin.

I mostly wanted to know if I could play Gamecube games at full speed. Specifically: SSBM (easiest to run I hear), Double Dash, SM Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, Zelda Twilight Princess. Knowing about other games would be helpful too, of course. If I could run any Wii games, that would be cool as well but it isn't a big deal.

Note: Even if I could not run Dolphin at all, I'd still probably pick one of those CPUs. I'm just asking out of curiosity and for research.

Thanks for any help provided.

EDIT: PLEASE state whether you are talking about GC or Wii when you say what kind of speeds any of those CPUs would get.
Really, 1 thread is enough.
Only game will give you problems is probably gonna be Zelda: TP. You should have decent speed on the games.

thatrandomguy

(06-20-2010, 03:39 AM)obscured Wrote: [ -> ]Only game will give you problems is probably gonna be Zelda: TP. You should have decent speed on the games.
I feel I should ask whether you mean GameCube ZTP or Wii ZTP. Also whether you mean decent speed with GC games or GC and Wii. One more thing, define "decent speeds." Everyone has their own definition.
i have a phenom2 x4 940 at 3,4Ghz CPU and 2,2Ghz northbridge clock with
4GB DDR2 800 CL4-4-3-11-19 (lower latency is better for emulation because dolphin has a lot of stuff to change in ram while emulating) and an
xfx radeon hd5770 xxx on
Win7 x64

many games run fullspeed with full sound.
the games that run fullspeed are running fullspeed with 9xSSAA in 1920x1200 most of the time.

thatrandomguy

(06-20-2010, 10:42 AM)FloW3184 Wrote: [ -> ]i have a phenom2 x4 940 at 3,4Ghz CPU and 2,2Ghz northbridge clock with
4GB DDR2 800 CL4-4-3-11-19 (lower latency is better for emulation because dolphin has a lot of stuff to change in ram while emulating) and an
xfx radeon hd5770 xxx on
Win7 x64

the games that run fullspeed are running fullspeed with 9xSSAA in 1920x1200 most of the time.
Once again, is this with GC or Wii?
I think I read some where the two performs the about the same but I might be wrong.
(06-20-2010, 12:59 PM)thatrandomguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2010, 10:42 AM)FloW3184 Wrote: [ -> ]i have a phenom2 x4 940 at 3,4Ghz CPU and 2,2Ghz northbridge clock with
xfx radeon hd5770 xxx on
Win7 x64

no matter...GC or Wii perform almost the same on dolphin, it's not the platform, it's the game.
now about your question...yes a phenom II and a 5770 will suffice for almost all games, GC and Wii.
ZTP is a special type of game, since it has some weird bug that gives very low fps in hyrule field, but in other places it's gonna be fine. and this bug is for both versions so don't ask Tongue

thatrandomguy

(06-20-2010, 05:52 PM)GundamQuatro Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2010, 12:59 PM)thatrandomguy Wrote: [ -> ]
xfx radeon hd5770 xxx on
Win7 x64

no matter...GC or Wii perform almost the same on dolphin, it's not the platform, it's the game.
now about your question...yes a phenom II and a 5770 will suffice for almost all games, GC and Wii.
ZTP is a special type of game, since it has some weird bug that gives very low fps in hyrule field, but in other places it's gonna be fine. and this bug is for both versions so don't ask Tongue
Thank you! Well, that's everything then.