Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Break Points, Memory Editor And Debug Mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

GaidenGoemon

Well, let me just start off by saying I am new, and I like using Dolphin. I'm here to ask a few questions.

1: Does Dolphin have a memory editor? And if it does, how do I access it?
I ask this because I am a code hacker, and I need a memory editor because it makes creating codes easier. It's really frustrating trying to make codes without a memory editor because I can watch what my code does and what's going on in the games code.

2: How do you set breakpoints? And how well does Dolphin handle breakpoints.
Creating certain Action Replay codes requires setting breakpoints, and I am actually making a code at this specific moment that requires the use of breakpoints.
3:How do I run Dolphin in Debug mode? I heard that this emulator can run in debug mode. Again, using debug mode would make creating codes easier.
I am using Dolphin 3.0 64 bit. Everything runs fine, but I would just like to know how to access and use the above things. Thank you very much in advance, and I am enjoying this website. Smile
Firstly, use the latest GIT version (Dolphin 3.0-808) found in the Download link at the top of this page. It contains a fair number of fixes for the debugger.

To access the debugger, start dolphin with a "/d" switch in the command line.

The memory editor is in the debugger under the View -> Memory menu.

Yes, there are breakpoints in the debugger. Execution breakpoints (BPX) are available in the RELEASE build of Dolphin. Memory read/write breakpoints (BPR/BPW) are available in DEBUGFAST builds of Dolphin. You'll have to compile your own Dolphin to make a DEBUGFAST version.

GaidenGoemon

Thank you very much for the info.
I will go and grab Dolphin 3.0-808 right now. All of this is really useful to me, and I am happy I have learned how to find and use these things. Thank you very much for answering my questions. Smile

Johndir

Is there a download link for a debug/debugfast build? I don't want to download the needed software to compile Dolphin myself just for wanting to use the memory breakpoints. Confused
Here you go (you'll need 7-zip):

http://www.mediafire.com/?r75f82uc5y1yxzb